Bubbles Quilt Thurs 15th March 10.30 - 4.30pm
Bubbles Quilt Requirements
This class will get you started on your own version of a bubbles quilt.
It is made using raw edge appliqué circles of various size. The shops Accu cutting machine will be available for everyone to use. If you have a Sizzix machine and any circle die do bring them with you. You may want to hand cut some larger circles so scissors will be used too.
The quilt size is determined by the main fabric so you can choose your own size. For example you may want to make a small version in class (due to table room). e.g. 1.10m x 1.50m is a good starting size. My quilt was made from an extra wide fabric finished size 1.30m x 2.00m so this large size will need to be done in sections.
If you have used it before It will be a good idea to prepare your patterned / colourful fabrics for the bubbles by pre applying the heat and bond in sheets to your fabric before you come to class, this will save time on the day.
You will need:-
- general scissors (to cut heat and bond and fabric)
- Pencil and iron away fabric marker
- 5m roll of heat and bond light or bondaweb
- Appliqué pins
- Ironing pad/ mat or large towel essential and travel iron if you
- Appliqué mat or Greece proof paper to protect the iron
- Fabrics for bubbles various colours are needed it is best if they appear solid colour, the pattern is your choice. I used a layer cake called "Just a spec" by Jen Kingwell and various fat quarters and half meters for the larger circles
- For the rings choose a single fabric in contrast at least 0.50m
- background fabric e.g. white, the size is your choice this will determine the size of your quilt unless you add borders. Mine was one piece 1.30m x 2m suggested smaller size 1m x 1.5m
- backing fabric 4inch larger than front fabric on each side
- binding fabric 2.5inch x distance around quilt
- Wadding -I used the polydown bought in the bag. Size needs to be bigger than your quilt. Especially if you want to pad out your circles like I did with the spare wadding.
- thread, I used a white cotton it will be for the decorative blanket stitch on the circle
- Perle 8 various colours if doing the big stitch quilting by hand and chenille needle
- Sewing machine in good working order
- Appliqué foot highly recommended or open toe zig zag foot
- New 70/11 sharps needle
- You may want your Cutting equipment: board, rotary cutter, ruler and fabric scissors.